Below are the 16 questions contained in the “Domestic Violence Risk Assessment” checklist:
1. Has he/she ever used a weapon against you/threatened you with a weapon?
2. Has he/she ever threatened to kill you or your children?
3. Do you think he/she might try to kill you?
4. Does he/she have a gun or can he/she get one easily?
5. Has he/she ever tried to choke you?
6. Is he/she violent or constantly jealous or does he/she control most of your daily activities?
7. Does he/she follow or spy on you or leave threatening messages?
8. Have you left him/her or separated after living together or being married?
9. Is he/she unemployed?
10. Has he/she ever tried to kill himself/herself?
11. Do you have a child/children together?
12. Do you have a child that he/she knows is not his/hers?
13. Has he/she been physical toward the child(ren) in a way that concerns you?
14. Does he/she have an alcohol/substance abuse problem?
15. Has he/she interfered with a 911 call?
16. Is there anything else that worries you about your safety?
If you are in Mississippi and need help please do one or all of the following by contacting the Mississippi Coalition Against Domestic Violence;
If you are in danger, call 911.
If you need immediate assistance after hours: Call 1-800-799-SAFE(7233).
Local to the metro area may call 601-981-9196
If you wish to be connected with someone in your area regarding domestic violence, volunteering or making a donation, call 1-800-898-3234.
Matthew Thompson is a Family Law Attorney in Mississippi and encourages victims of domestic violence to have an emergency plan and seek immediate help.