Matthew Thompson is the author of Mississippi Divorce, Alimony and Child Custody with Forms, 2018-2019 Edition, Mississippi Practice Series, Thomson Reuters, 2019.
Matthew has earned an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. This rating is determined by the attorneys Matthew practices with and against, as well as the judges that he appears before. The AV rating is a significant accomplishment in that only 12% of all the attorneys in the world have been awarded the designation. It is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards.
Matthew was named to the list of Rising Stars by Super Lawyers. This listing includes the best attorneys who are 40 or under, or who have been practicing for 10 years or less, are nominated by other lawyers in their practice area and field. The nominated lawyers have been personally observed in action — whether as opposing counsel or co-counsel, or through other firsthand courtroom observation. In addition to the general survey, the attorney-led research team reviews the credentials of potential candidates and assigns points based on a set of defined evaluation criteria. The research staff also confirms that nominees are properly licensed, in good standing with the state licensing agency, and, when possible, that they have no history of disciplinary action that would warrant removal from the list.
MVP Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project
Matthew was recognized for his Pro Bono work for low income families in Mississippi in the filed of Family Law during national Pro Bono month.
Superb 10.0, AVVO
Matthew has earned a perfect rating from AVVO. The Avvo Rating is an evaluation of a professional’s background. The rating is calculated using a mathematical model that considers the information shown in a professional’s profile, including a professional’s years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements and industry recognition — all factors that are relevant to assessing a professional’s qualifications.
American Jurisprudence Award, 2006 – Legislation, Mississippi College School of Law
Matthew earned the highest grade in the class taught by Adjunct Professor, Governor Ronnie Musgrove.
SPEECHES & PRESENTATIONS:
- “Family Law Update” – University of Mississippi July 2019
- Ethics Hour– University of Mississippi July 2019
- “Family Law: A-Z,” NBI July 2019
- GAL Training MC Law, May 2019
- “Family Law Update for the Judges”– Mississippi Judicial College, April 2019
- Family Law Panel – Family Law Update, MC Law February 2019
- “Family Law 101” – MS Bar – Jan. 2019
- “New Lawyer Training” MS Bar, Nov. 2018
- Family Law Update – MS Center for Legal Service, July 2018
- “New Lawyer Training” MS Bar, Oct. 2017
- “What to do when you get a Bar Complaint.” Rankin County Bar, July 2017
- “Effectively Arguing Contempt Issues” NBI, June 2017
- “Attorney Client Relationships, Conflicts & Handling Complaints” NBI June 2017
- “Child Custody & Child Support” MDHS/Young Williams, May 2017
- “Setting Up Your Practice” New Lawyer Training, MS Bar, May 2017
- “Odds & Ends in Family Law” Panelist, MC Law Family Law Panel, April 2017
- “You’re Appointed as the Gal: Now What?” MC Law GAL Training, Aug. 2016
- “MC Law Family Law Panel” Panelist, MC Law, April 2015
- “Family Law Update” MCLSC, July 2016
- “Paternity 101” MVLP August 2013
- “Joint/Shared Custody issues and Considerations” Sterling Family Law Hot Topics, June 2013
- “Ethical Issues in Family Law Practice” Sterling Family Law Hot Topics, June 2013
- “Contempt: Enforcing Court Orders & Holding Persons ‘Accountable’” CABA/MVLP Nov. 2012
- “Divorce, Adoption & Guardianship – Update” MVLP July 2012
- “Know Your Rights: Dads Have Rights, Too” MVLP June 2012
- “Valuation Analysis Paralysis” MS Bar Family Law Section June 2012
- “Custody Evaluations and Investigations” MC Law GAL Training Feb. 2012
- “Handling Divorces in a Constructive Manner” Sterling Family Law Update Jan. 2012
- “A Family Law 101” Missions First Legal Aid, May 2011
- Mediating the Family Law Case. Continuing Legal Education, Mississippi College School of Law, March 2011.
- “Child Custody/Albright Factors” MC Law GAL Training Feb. 2011
- Irreconcilable Differences Divorce 101. Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project, October 2010.
- Lunch with Experience. The American Bar Association, 5th Circuit Law Student Division, Spring Convention. February 2010
- “A Family Law Update and Odds & Ends in Family Law” MC Law, Aug 2009
- “Covenant Marriages, Child Custody & Support, and Other Odds & Ends (Mostly Odds)” 2008
- Case Management Software. 15th Annual Evelyn Gandy Lecture Series. February 2008
- “Mediating the Family Law Case” Family Law Practice, July 2008
- Appellate Practice. 14th Annual Hot Tips from the Experts- Family Law Seminar. June 1, 2007
- Mississippi Divorce, Alimony and Child Support, With Forms, 2018-2019 Edition, Mississippi Practice Series, Thomson Reuters, 2019.
- Common Misconceptions in Family Law, Mississippi Lawyer, Matthew Thompson and Chad King, Fall 2016
- Patricia Wise; Chancellor, Mentor, Volunteer, Hinds County Bar Association, June 2010.
- I am an Undivorce Lawyer. Family Law Section Quarterly, Mississippi Bar, December 2008
- Thomas Elected Chancellor of Hinds County, Hinds County Bar Association, April 2008.
- Denise Owens, Senior Chancellor: Being a Chancellor is a Marathon Not a Sprint, Hinds County Bar Association, June 2008.
Phone: (601) 850-8000 Blog: bowtielawyer.ms
Fax: (601) 499-5219 Matthew@BowTieLawyer.ms