On June 3 Madison Countians will elect a new Chancery Clerk.
The Chancery Clerk acts as the county auditor, treasurer and assists the Board of Supervisors. The Chancery Clerk’s duties also include Clerk of the Chancery Court and Custodian of Public Land Records. The Clerk is ultimately responsible for the filing of Court pleadings and land records and it is a big job. It also includes testifying in Court on occasion and being financially accountable to the County, litigants and the Court.
The scuttlebutt is that someone in the clerk’s office ran a number of background checks on Ronny Lott. This is newsworthy because candidate Irby Ford is currently employed by Madison County and works in the assessors office. Ford denied being responsible or knowing about the searches, which was apparently true. No searches were conducted regarding Ford or Overby.
Three candidates are vying for the position.
- Currently serves as a committee member on the Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Member of the Government Finance Officers Association
- Served 12 years as the City Clerk in Ridgeland
- Served as County Administrator in Madison
- Recently appointed Finance Manager at the City of Canton
- Worked in public accounting for 20 years auditing business and governments and providing financial and business management consulting
- Led the fight that reduced property taxes.
- Driving force behind settlement of wasteful $6 million dollar MDOT lawsuit.
- Opposed all proposals to increase property taxes.
- 100% voting record in support of education and law enforcement.
- Helped create business-friendly environment for creation of new jobs.
- Opposed unnecessary third landfill.
- Perfect attendance at meetings of the Board of Supervisors regularly scheduled.
- 28 years as a Deputy Tax Assessor and Department Head over the Mapping Division with the Madison County Tax Assessors Office.
- State Certified Appraiser (Mississippi State University).
- Missisippi Assessment Evaluator, MAE (State Bureau of revenue).
- Associate of Applied Science Degree (Holmes Community College).
- Certificate of Educational Recognition. (International Association of Assessing Officers).
- Cadastral Mapping Specialist (IAAO) Note: One of only two in the state of Missisippi to receive this international professional designation.
Click on the candidates names for their websites and bios. Be informed, educate yourself and vote. This vote matters.