It can be a love-hate relationship.
Nobody likes a lawyer until you need one. Then you love them, until you don’t. –Matthew Thompson
Clients hate lawyers for many reasons, but most commonly it is due to the following;
- Poor Communication. Communication between lawyers and clients is the #1 complaint. Both, lawyers and clients, are busy. Sometimes its hard to communicate effectively and in a timely manner. This goes both ways and each needs to try to be responsive.
- Poor Advice. Just because they are a lawyer does not mean they know everything. Sometimes lawyers get it wrong.
- Don’t Do What They Say They Will. Procrastination or not capable of doing what needs to be done, when it needs to be done.
- Charging for Everything. Every call, text, email and message, office appointment, and even when they are just thinking about your case.
- Misleading About the Total Charges. This is why I hate billable hours. It’s almost always more than “you” think.
- Hard Advice. This is different than poor advice. Hard advice is telling you what yo don’t want to hear, but need to hear. Sometimes lawyers are the messenger that gets shot (figuratively speaking, I hope).
Up next? Why Lawyers Hate Clients! Stay tuned.
Matthew Thompson is a Family Law Attorney in Mississippi and tries not to do things to be hated, at least by his own clients…
Follow the blog: BowTieLawyer Visit the website: Thompson Law Firm
You may also contact Matthew with your family law case, question or concern at (601) 850-8000 or Matthew@bowtielawyer.ms.
3 thoughts on “Why Clients Hate Lawyers.”
You are wrong. People hate lawyers because lawyers are treacherous, double-dealing and sleazy.
Some are. Most are not. Just like people.