Low-income Mississippian’s have a definite need for legal services and lawyers and the Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project is working to make sure those Mississippian’s get the help they deserve. MVLP needs your help too.
Q: What is the MVLP?
The Mississippi Volunteer Lawyers Project, or “MVLP,” is a 501(c) (3) non-profit legal aid organization.
Q: What is the Mission of MVLP?
MVLP enables volunteer attorneys to provide equal access to justice for Mississippians of low-income and limited means through high quality pro bono legal assistance.
Q: What types of cases does MVLP handle?
- Child support contempt, child support modification, and visitation.
- Simple wills
- Adoption, guardianship, and conservatorships
- Name change, birth certificate correction,
- MVLP hosts legal clinics throughout Mississippi which are staffed by local volunteer attorneys and law students.
Q: How does MVLP work?
Qualified clients are matched with volunteer attorneys who will represent him/her on behalf of MVLP. MVLP staff periodically review the client’s case to ensure that the match is successful, to assess the progress of the case, and to record pro bono hours contributed by the volunteer attorney.
Q: How is MVLP funded?
MVLP receives funding from the Civil Legal Assistance Fund, the Mississippi Bar Foundation, Legal Services Corporation, special events and seminars, donations from law firms, other business and individuals like you. Over the past several years, MVLP’s funding from the Mississippi Bar Foundation and the Legal Services Corporation, in particular, has been substantially reduced because of the country’s current economic situation. MVLP anticipates additional cuts from both sources in 2015, making this year’s fundraising campaign especially critical.
Q: How will My Donation be used?
Annual campaign donations will help MVLP to do the following:
• Recruit more volunteer attorneys to provide much-needed legal services to the poor;
• Increase the number of legal clinics and public awareness workshops offered throughout Mississippi;
• Increase the number of training sessions to volunteers on the types of matters handled by MVLP;
• Provide financial support to clients who cannot afford filing fees and other court costs; and
• Allow the organization to actively engage in short- and long-term, strategic planning with a focus on ways to expand its capacity to reach more individuals in need.
Q: What are the fundraising levels?
Friend of MVLP $250
Or any amount.
Q: How can I Donate?
A: Donate online through PayPal at www.mvlp.org/donate.
Mail your donation to MVLP at PO Box 1503, Jackson, MS 39215 or
Call MVLP at 601-960-9577 and a MVLP volunteer can pick up your donation.
Please make a Donation Now!
Matthew Thompson is a Mississippi Family Law Attorney, Board Member for the MVLP, a volunteer attorney for MVLP and has made his donation for the 2014 campaign and challenges you to help as you are able to this worthy cause.