Category Archives: Visitation

Best Parenting Advice; Be Consistent and Be Positive

No, this isn’t a Tony Robbins webinar.

This advice comes from years of custody disputes, multiple counselors, being a parent and seeing a lot of what-not-to-do.

#1 Be Consistent

Be there. Show up when you are supposed to. Be there when you can in addition to when you are supposed to. Be supportive mentally, emotionally, financially. Be calm. Be steady. Be there.

#1A Be Positive.

Be a good example. Be a positive role model. Say nice things about your child. Say nice things about the other parent. Be reassuring. Be encouraging. Be loving. Be affectionate.

That’s it. Do those things. You’ll win at parenting.

Matthew Thompson is a child custody attorney in Mississippi and encourages all parents to be consistent and be positive, even you.


School records, grades and cooperation…

If you’re a parent you are entitled to your child’s school record, grades and information.

This is true regardless of the type of custody or visitation you have. This is true regardless of whether the other parent gives it to you or not. You are entitled to it by law in Mississippi. MCA 93-5-26

So, how do you get it?

  • Ask the other parent.
  • Ask the teacher.
  • Ask the guidance counselor.
  • Ask the principal.
  • Ask the guardian ad litem.
  • Formally request it in writing.
  • Have your lawyer request it.
  • and if all else fails
  • Issue a Subpoena.

Be nice, be professional, but be assertive.

The few exceptions to this are if your parental rights have been terminated and/or the child has been adopted or if there is a Court Order preventing you access.

Matthew Thompson is a Child custody lawyer in Mississippi and encourages you to be involved in your child’s schooling. (601)850-8000

THERE IS NO PROHIBITION ON Interstate or INternational travel in Custody, unless there is…

“But, he can’t travel out of state with my children without my permission…”

In Child Custody matters a parent can travel with their child during their time. And, NO, usually you do not need the other parent’s “permission.”

This is true whether you are the primary custodian or the visitation exerciser, there is no real, legal limitation on your ability to travel with your child.

You can run up to Gatlinburg, TN and see the Smokies, or you can head to New Orleans, LA to spend time in the Big Easy. You can hop down to Orange Beach, AL or Destin, FL for some fun-in-the-sun and there is not much the other parent can do about it…

Unless, there is a prohibition against such travel. Those prohibitions come in two forms, most commonly by agreement. This means the parties expressly agreed that their rights to travel with the children would be infringed. So, permission does have to be provided or the travel is limited to a geographic area or by travel time limits. Secondly, and less common, travel may be restricted by the Court. This is in the rare occasion where a parent makes a credible threat of leaving with the child or has done so in the past. If the Court Orders it, it must be abided by or there could be sever consequences.

The same holds true for international travel, though there are additional requirements, usually, beyond the Court. For instance, international travel would require a birth certificate or (passport which usually requires both parent’s consent.) Likewise, U.S. Customs recommends a child travelling with only one parent to have a written authorization for such. There may also be reasons to restrict travel based upon the destination and how that Country would treat a U.S. Custody Order.

Now, what is required is keeping the other parent reasonably informed. That includes travel, a means to communicate and it could also require more specific information, such as an itinerary, contact numbers for destinations, where you are staying and who else may be traveling. It all depends on your custody language in your Order.

So, can he travel? Yes. Do you have the right to know about it? Yes.

Matthew Thompson is a child custody lawyer in Mississippi and reminds you to be a reasonable parent and get out there and see the world. http://www.BowTieLawyer.MS (601)850-8000