Do NOT refuse extra time with your child.
Both parents say they want physical custody. Both parents say they are the superior parent as compared to the other. One parent is awarded physical custody by the Court. The other parent then refuses EXTRA time, because it would “help” the other parent.
You are wrong. It helps your child. It gives you more opportunity to parent and be with your child. It improves your relationship, creates memories and helps you in the process.
Refusing EXTRA time is petty and can result in resentment between the parents and it makes no sense.
Matthew Thompson is a Child Custody Attorney and reminds parents to always take the extra time.
Halloween is the #1 overlooked “holiday” in divorce agreements.
Don’t overlook Halloween.
Matthew Thompson is a child custody attorney in Mississippi and wishes you and yours a special and memorable Halloween.
Food, shelter and clothing are necessities and while providing them is the minimum, doing so alone does not make you a great parent.
- Do you encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent?
- Just NOT badmouthing them does not make you a great parent. You should encourage and promote a good relationship. Oh, and it’s required when parties have joint legal custody.
- Do you withhold financial support from your child?
- Money isn’t everything, but there is no excuse for not supporting your child.
- Do you degrade the other parent to your child?
- “I don’t lie to my child!” 1) Yes, you do. Everyday, to protect them. 2) Telling them how big a scoundrel the other parent is hurts the child. Half of their identity is from that scoundrel!
- Do you prevent your child from seeing the other parent or interfere with the visitation?
- Out of sight is NOT out of mind. Absence can make the heart grow fonder…
Matthew Thompson is a Child Custody Lawyer in Mississippi and reminds you to not be a terrible parent.
Follow the blog: BowTieLawyer
You may also contact Matthew with your family law case, question or concern at (601) 850-8000 or Matthew@bowtielawyer.ms.