Mississippi recently enacted a Voter ID requirement for most citizens in the State. Regardless of your politics, it is now the law. The Mississippi Secretary of State, Delbert Hosemann, has done a great job of getting the word out of the new requirement and how to get your Voter ID. Here’s how;
Who needs an ID?
All Mississippians voting at the polls will be required to show a photo ID card. Also, individuals voting in person by absentee ballot in the Circuit Clerk’s oﬃce prior to Election Day will be required to show a photo ID.
There are two exemptions:
Any Mississippi registered voter who states he/she does not have acceptable photo identification because of a religious objection to being photographed shall be entitled to vote by affidavit ballot without being required to show a photo ID. The ballot will not be rejected for this reason if the voter signs a separate affidavit before the Circuit Clerk within ﬁve days of the election.
ELIGIBLE ABSENTEE BALLOT VOTERS
Eligible Mississippi voters will not need a photo ID if voting by absentee ballot by mail instead of voting in person at the polls or at a Circuit Clerk’s office. This exemption also applies to eligible voters who are Uniformed Military and Overseas Voters (UOCAVA) who cast an absentee ballot by FAX or email.
WHAT IS AN ACCEPTABLE ID?
- A driver’s license
- A photo ID card issued by a branch, department, or entity of the State of Mississippi
- A United States passport
- A government employee ID card
- A firearms license
- A student photo ID issued by an accredited Mississippi university, college, or community/junior college
- A United States military ID
- A tribal photo ID
- Any other photo ID issued by any branch, department, agency or entity of the United States government or any State government
- A Mississippi Voter Identification Card
HOW CAN I GET A MISSISSIPPI VOTER ID CARD?
Beginning in January 2014, all Mississippi Circuit Clerk’s offices will be able to issue a FREE Mississippi Voter Identification Card to any eligible Mississippi voter who does NOT have any other form of acceptable photo ID.
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO GET A VOTER ID CARD?
To get FREE Mississippi Voter Identification Card, take any ONE of the following types of documents to the Circuit Clerk’s office:
- Any expired but valid photo identity document having the voter’s name and photograph issued by the U.S. government or any U.S. state
- A birth certificate or any other document with the voter’s full legal name, date and place of birth
- A Social Security card
- A Medicare card
- A Medicaid card
- A Mississippi Voter Registration Card
- Any of the following, as long as it includes the voter’s name and current address:
- Utility bill issued within the preceding six months
- Bank statement issued within the preceding six months
- Paycheck issued within the preceding six months
- Government check issued within the preceding six months
- IRS Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement issued within the current calendar year
WHAT IF I NEED MORE INFO?
CALL 1.855.868.3745 or 1.844.MSVOTER
Matthew Thompson is a practicing attorney in Mississippi Family Law Courts reminding you to do your part and Vote.