The first step is always the hardest!
When you call a Family Law Attorney for the first time there are some basics that are pretty universal. Be ready with this information.
- Your full name and that of your spouse/defendant
- Whether anything is on file in any Court
- Critical deadlines, trial dates, hearing dates, etc…
- Who the attorneys are, if any
- Who the Judge is
- What Court you are in, if so
- What County is home for you
- Date/Place of Marriage
- Date/Place of Separation
- Ages of children
- Job description and approx. income
- Whether it will be contested or Agreed
These are the basics that any family law practitioner is going to need to do a conflicts check and to do a proper evaluation of your case.
Matthew Thompson is a Divorce Attorney in Mississippi and encourages potential clients to educate themselves and know their stuff!