On the heels of “Signs of an Unreasonable Client” comes the counter, so you know how to be a reasonable client.
- Listen to your Attorney. You hired them, now listen.
- Ask if you Don’t Understand. We can sometimes fall into the trap of speaking in legalese and assume you get it you aren’t indicating otherwise.
- Pay Your Bill. That is how attorneys make money and all attorneys are not as rich as they want you to think.
- If you Have an Issue with us, Let us Know. Don’t tell someone else about your concerns and not allow the attorney a chance to address it.
- Don’t Ignore your Attorney. One of the worst things you can do is go off the grid and not communicate.
- Don’t Text Incessantly. It’s great for “running 10 minutes late” or “the date is Aug. 4,” otherwise call or email.
- Don’t Email when a Call is Better. Somethings you just have to talk about.
- Don’t Abuse the Cell Phone. Do NOT abuse the cell phone.
Matthew Thompson is a Divorce Lawyer in Mississippi and encourages all clients to be reasonable.