Tag Archives: undivorce

Wild Divorce Laws; The Undivorce, Reconstructing a Marriage

One of my first posts on this site, way back, was a cut and paste job of an article I wrote a few years back for the Mississippi Bar Family Law Section Newsletter. It was entitled, I am an Undivorce Attorney.  I am re-blogging on it because, one) I have a significantly greater audience now, and two) I like writing about good news in divorce law.  I am still an Undivorce Attorney.

KROMKRATHOG/free digitalphotos.net
In Mississippi, you can legally UNDIVORCE!  Yes, you can have your judgment of divorce revoked by the Court that granted it.  This is not a remarriage, but rather judicially undoing the legal divorce. Why, you ask?  Well, just like sometimes people marry the wrong person, sometimes they got it right the first time and divorced the wrong person.

MCA 93-5-31, provides that a judgment of divorce may be revoked at any time by the Court that granted it.  The Court may require “satisfactory proof of reconciliation,” as well as “such regulation as it may deem proper.”  It requires a joint application of both parties. The process can be fairly simple and quick.

Upon approval by the Court, you can have your divorce erased and it’s as if you were never legally divorced.  You get “credit” for being married those years you were not, so 25 years still equals 25 years.

This is a very unique quirk in MS law and not widely known. In fact, a few judges, I have heard, have questioned whether they had the authority to do an undivorce and if it was legal.  They do and it is.

Matthew Thompson is a family law attorney in Mississippi and whether you marriage was a mistake or your divorce was a mistake, I can help!

Follow the blog: BowTieLawyer Visit the website: Thompson Law Firm

You may also contact Matthew with your family law case, question or concern at (601) 850-8000 or Matthew@wmtlawfirm.com.

BowTieLawyer’s Top Rated Posts of 2012 (and a few of my favorites)

Below are the Top Rated posts for BowTieLawyer for 2012 and a few of my favorites.  Thank you for viewing this blog, posting comments and sharing.  I think this is a worthwhile blog and I enjoy doing it.

maroon bow

I began on August 14, 2012, blogging about Family Law issues and whatever else I felt like.  I have had about 2,500 views, over 53 new blogs, viewers from 27 countries and numerous comments, likes and shares.  I am looking forward to continuing in 2013 and welcome your blog ideas or requests.  Leave a comment or send an email;  Matthew@wmtlawfirm.com.

Also, please check out my Law Firm’s site at www.TLFfamilylaw.com.


And a few of my Favorites;

Thompson Law Firm, pllc     Matthew@wmtlawfirm.com     (601) 850-8000

I am an Undivorce Attorney

In Mississippi it is possible to get Undivorced. I am not talking about remarrying the same person, but having your legal divorce – legally revoked.

Stuart Miles /freedigitalphotos.net

Upon satisfactory proof of reconciliation, the Court which granted the divorce may revoke the judgment of divorce.

§ 93-5-31. Judgment of divorce may be revoked

The judgment of divorce from the bonds of matrimony may be revoked at any time by the court which granted it, under such regulations and restrictions as it may deem proper to impose, upon the joint application of the parties, and upon the production of satisfactory evidence of their reconciliation.


Matthew Thompson is a family law attorney and has handled multiple undivorces.

Follow the blog: BowTieLawyer Visit the website: Thompson Law Firm

You may also contact Matthew at 

(601) 850-8000 or Matthew@bowtielawyer.ms